 Star Wars / 3299
3298  |  3300
Subject:
Droid Fighter Mods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:34:04 GMT

Has anyone come up with a useful mod for the Droid Fighters 'legs'?  I
fixed the head up (that was easy), but I'm having a challenge with those
legs.  I gave up on trying to get them to slide outward (changing from
flight mode to fight mode), and I've been concentrating on getting them to
rotate into walking mode.

My first attempt at fixing the legs was to insert a 2x2/1x4 plate hinge
(see <http://home.att.net/~partsref/images/2429.gif> and
<http://home.att.net/~partsref/images/2430.gif>) at the corner of each leg,
but the whole thing ended up being too thick.

In my second try, I dropped the 4x4 leg-base from the droid, and started
playing around with using the robot arm part,
<http://home.att.net/~partsref/images/4735.gif>, to allow each leg to
double-hinge.  The idea seems good, but I haven't got the details worked
out yet (the two pairs of legs on the one side doesn't fit together right).
And the whole assembly ends up being fragile.

Anyone have any other ideas?

BTW, the mod I did to the head was to take the top of the head (everything
from the brown plate <http://home.att.net/~partsref/images/4859.gif> up),
put a 2x2 turntable with hinge fingers
<http://home.att.net/~partsref/images/251.gif> on the bottom, and attached
one of the pantograph arms <http://home.att.net/~partsref/images/2880.gif>.
Then I rebuilt the insides of the droid's body to fit the new 'neck'.  Now
my droid can lift its head, look around, all without removing its head from
its body.  It's a bit fragile, but way more functional than the original.
And fairly prototypical, as far as I can tell from repeated viewings of the
EP1 trailer.

Steve