 Star Wars / 3216
Re: has anyone made an at-at out of lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:03:40 GMT

Shaun Sullivan <sullis3@mit.edu> wrote in message news:377A18F8.3CD7@mit.edu...
Thanks for the kind words, Ben!  I'm not sure about topping your Falcon,
though :) - the amount of pneumatics and detailing you've packed in
there is amazing!

I took some quick measurements this morning:  The body itself is about
15 inches long, 21 with the head included.  At the smallest part, the
body is about 4.5 inches high, rising up to about 7" at its tallest.
The main bulk of the body is 14 dots wide.  All told, the height
(including feet and legs) is on the order of 19 inches or so.  All of
these dimensions are in keeping with the size specs in the Essential
Guide to Vehicles and Vessels.

I do plan on having the troop door on one side, and having the other
side open up so I can access to the troops.  At this point, I'm
*praying* that the Stormtrooper comes out in a small set, because I'd
like to have the right number eventually.

No pictures thus far ...

While we're on the topic, does anybody have any thoughts on making a
flexible neck?  I haven't actually tried very many ideas yet, so I'm not
*quite* desperate.  It needs to be able to support the head (I'm
thinking this will probably require some sort of internal skeletal
support), and I'd ideally like some flexibility in all 360 degrees.
And of course, I'd like it to look like the "real" AT-AT neck :)  It's a
tall order, but I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it.

Just a thought:  the throwbot ball-joint pieces might give you the strength and flexibility you need.  Of course you'd want to cover
them with something.

-John Van