 Star Wars / 310
Re: Pre-ordering Star Wars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:25:25 GMT

Jim Baker writes:
Has anyone done it yet?  Based on the Pause listed prices, it will be
about $115 retail for the initial five sets.  Figure 10% or so S@H
mark-up and it's about $125 to reserve your first Star Wars Lego for
delivery.

This is certainly doable, but I'm wondering if others think it is worth
it ... will the sets be available in stores before S@H carries them?  It
would kill me to see them at TRU and be unable to buy them because I was
waiting on mail order.

Also, does anyone think these sets will be difficult to find in stores
due to the collector angle?  Or is Lego just blowing smoke with this
'Reserve yours today' business?

I suppose it depends on who is primarily responsible for the marketing and
distribution.  I suspect that if Lego is the only one saying what will happen,
then it will hit stores much like other 'themes', except with a bit more hype,
and a slight increase to the volume.
However, if Lucasfilm has a significant say in it, then I suspect it will
market like the other Star Wars toys out there... flood the shelves, catch the
collector and casual market all at once, then pull it out so the next flood of
merchandise is uncontested.