 Star Wars / 3017
Re: LEGO contest - Oops! (was: I have updated my site)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:09:24 GMT

re-reading the rules, it seems to me that a non-starwars based >model may • have a
better chance of winning than one which is based on a starwars
ship/vehicle.

Thanks for the clarification David!  As I said before, I didn't have the
rules in front of me, nor could I find them at home, so your post was a big
help.

The rules for this particular LEGO contest is a double edged sword.  I like
the fact the rules are flexible, but they're almost too flexible!  It's
somewhat difficult to determine what the judges will be looking for.  Oh
well, I guess that's what makes it fun...it's a challenge!

I think if a person wanted to stray from any documented Star Wars ship, I'd
still believe it might be cool to borrow design elements from "canon" SW
ships and make your creation a part of the SW universe somehow.  Does that
make sense?  This way, you're being creative with a design, but at the same
time finding a way to fit it in the SW universe.  Sure, it's not what the
rules ask for, but it might make for some interesting projects.

Steve B.

Here's what the rules say.  A lego model which would improve life on this
planet, or in a galaxy far, far away.  Further, specific to the 17 and up
category, the judging is based only 40% on engineering design, and 60% on
creativity/originality of design, which leads me to think that you will • have a
better chance of winning with a non-starwars based, totally original MOC.

-Dave Jr.
http://soli.inav.net/~thomas/lego/main.htm