 Star Wars / 3005
Re: off- topic - Finally saw it - some thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 06:50:24 GMT

Next time, say spoilers or something

David Simmons wrote:

Things I didn't like:

1.  Those who say that certain aliens within the film represent racist
stereotypes have a LOT of material to work with.

2.  DIE, Jar-Jar, DIE!

3.  Han Solo's wisecracks sorely missed!

4.  WAY too many poop jokes.  In the video store where I work, I'm going to
place one copy of this film in the children's section as a semi-serious
joke.

5.  Darth Maul looked neat, but his totally undeveloped character was
boring.  So he's evil, so what?  Even evil needs some personality.

6.  Immaculate conception.  Argh!  Awful!

7.  A friend of mine told me the "mitochlorians" or whatever they're called,
was a straight rip-off from japanese anime.

8.  Sloppy editing in the final battle.  They shouldn't have cut away from
the end duel between Kenobi and Maul.  When Kenobi jumps up and slices Maul
in half, it's too delayed from the previous scene and comes off
anti-climactic (and a little too pat IMHO)>

Things I liked:

1.  The pod race was great!  Best part of the film (even though it's just
Ben-Hur on amphetamines!).  Though I noticed every time the film slowed down
for so-called "character" scenes, the audience became restless, waiting for
more action.

2.  The underwater creature CG was very nice.  Not so obvious.

3.  The final lightsaber duel was VERY nice.  Beautiful choreography.  It
was nice to see a bad guy who could move around more than Vader could in his
big, cumbersome suit.

4.  I LOVED the sequence of the droids being deployed out on the hull to fix
the Queen's starship.  At last we get see what they're designed to do!  I
also loved how they showed the R2 units being blasted off the ship before
they could complete repairs.

5.  Coruscant was REALLY well done.  All those lanes of ships moving to and
fro was great.  Loved all the mid-air landing platforms.  The Senate chamber
was boss.

6.  I liked how Qui-Gong Jinn used his saber to cut through the bulkhead
door.

7.  I loved when they showed how both Jedi's used their sabers to repel fire
back at and destroying the attacker.

8.  When Kenobi and Maul are going at it and they freeze for a second after
a heated saber exchange.  Nice flourish, classic!

George's visions are wondrous and beautiful, I just wish he'd given us
characters with more depth.  That way I would have cared a bit when Qui-Gong
Jinn got skewered.  The movie only takes off emotionally when Kenobi goes
after Maul.

Dave

--
Greetingz...