 Star Wars / 2378
2377  |  2379
Subject:
Candy Lightsabres
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 16:39:13 GMT

Today is my older son's birthday, and the custom around here is for the
birthday child to bring a treat to school, to share with his classmates.

Occasionally, I have been known to build things out of candy for occasions
like this.

We were wandering around Wal*Mart last night, Jamie was trying to decide
what he wanted to get for his treat-day.  All of a sudden, the idea of
candy light-sabres popped into my head.

So we bought two bags of Starburst fruit licorice, and two bags of
Lifesavers Gummi Savers.

When we got home, I took one piece of licorice for the blade.  To make the
handle, I cut off two 3-4 inch pieces from another licorice whip, and slit
these pieces open, the long way.  I wrapped these two pieces around one end
of the 'blade'.  Then I took two gummi savers, stretched them out somewhat,
and slid them onto the 'handle', to hold everything together.

The results more resemble a two-long technic peg with stop-bush than a
lightsabre, but I don't think the kids will mind. :)

And the licorice is so floppy, there's no way we can be accused of
violating any "no toy weapons" rule.

Steve