 Star Wars / 2376
2375  |  2377
Subject:
Lego E3 report: Star Wars Mindstorms, video games, visited Legoland
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 14:38:50 GMT

Sorry for the large number of cross-posted groups but there is a lot of
different news here.  Follow-ups set to lugnet.general.

I went to E3 in LA last weekend on business.  Lego had a nice display, they had
normal Mindstorms, the Star Wars Mindstorm sets, and the new Scout RCX brick (2
inputs, 2 outputs, infrared, programmable using front display).  I also got to
play Rock Raiders game and watch people play Legoland, both games look pretty
cool.
Lego also had a neat gumball machine that used at least one RCX: you insert your
business card and it drops a gumball down lots of chutes, conveyor belts, and
other contraptions.

The Star Wars Mindstorm models were kinda neat.  We played with the Battle
Droid/Stap model and blew it up.  Hehehe...

Rock Raiders is a real time strategy game where you mine energy crystals, build
structures, and defend your base from the rock monsters who want the crystals
back.  It is full 3D, with overhead and first person camera views available.
The buildings fall from the sky and get built in a Lego-esque way, which is a
pretty cool effect.

It's funny when the rock monsters come after the minifigs, they get scared, drop
their crystals, and run with their arms waving in the air.  The rock monsters
will start pounding your base and throwing rocks at it.  They took a nonviolent
fictional approach to the game: when your buildings are damaged too much by the
rock monsters they are teleported back to home base instead of being destroyed.
You can also use repulsor guns to frustrate the rock monsters.

Legoland lets you build a Lego theme park like Carlsbad, reminded me of a Theme
Park for younger people.

At a separate booth Lego had robot wars for participants that signed up.  They
used one RCX for the remote control, and one or more RCX bricks for controlling
the robot motors.  One large robot contained a second smaller robot that drove
out from a storage area using a lowerable ramp.

We then skipped out of the last day of E3 (all of our meetings were done) and
went down to Legoland in Carlsbad...  Way cool!  Miniland, the dragon inside the
castle rollercoaster, and the factory tour were my favorite areas.

I have some pictures of the new mindstorms stuff (Star Wars and Scout) and lots
of pictures from Legoland.  If anyone is interested I'll toss the pictures up on
my web page.