 Star Wars / 2133
2132  |  2134
Subject:
Almost finished with TPM novel -- ONE SPOILER WAY BELOW THE TEXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 16:14:50 GMT

Just thought I'd pass this along, I'm almost done with the novelization of
Episode I and I must say, I think the story is very entertaining and makes
for a great read.  I intended not to read the novel before seeing the movie,
but I couldn't resist as I've been bombarded with so many spoilers anyway.

Despite all the negative stuff being said about the Jar Jar Binks character,
I really enjoyed him in the book.  There were several times I laughed out
loud and I definitely think the kids are going to love him.

But, I would not compare Jar Jar in any way to Chewbacca.  Chewbacca was a
commanding presence as a "sidekick" -- something Jar Jar is certainly not
nor was that the intent.  He is funny though, at least IMO.

The movie should be great.  I'm looking forward to it even more now.  There
were some issues contained in the story that got under my skin a bit (things
that I hope will be dropped like a hot potato in Ep II and III), but nothing
major enough to lower my excitement about the film.

I'm including a minor spoiler down below.  Read at your own risk.

Steve B.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Are you sure you want to read further?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I thought this was kind of neat, even if a little unbelievable, but in the
book, you can already see some true caring and even a little romance between
Anakin and the Queen.  It's really sweet the way it was portrayed, yet when
you think about things, it's also very sad because you know what will happen
in the end.  It also makes me a bit upset that Lucas never gave Luke a love
interest in Eps 4-6 -- beyond that weird thing with Leia.

Many have speculated that Obi Wan will grow to care about the Queen also,
and this could be part of the cause of Anakin's downfall to the dark side --
something Palpatine capitalizes on.  But, judging from the book, there are
almost no signs that Obi Wan has any kind of feelings toward the young
Queen.  This could change in Episode II and III though.