 Star Wars / 1867
1866  |  1868
Subject:
Gentle rantings on episode 1 sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 04:13:21 GMT

Episode 4-6 sets were pretty cool.  But I was a little biased.  Now that I have
most of the episode 1 sets, but still do not know much about the vehicles and
characters and such, I still think the sets are some of the best Lego has
produced in the last ten years.  Great piece selection, variety and a minimum
of specialized pieces.  You can gage this simply by how cool all the alternate
models are.  Each of the sets is a privalege to put together.  There is a
combination of creative brickery and basic stack one brick on top of the other
approach.

All in all, pretty cool.  No, really cool.  I can see myself doubing and even
tripling up on sets just for the pieces.  But I'll at least wait for the 20%
off sales.

The only drawback is that I've not had any time to work on my Millenium Falcon
lately, since putting episode one sets together.  But last weekend I did manage
to get the concussion missle launcher mounted between the front mandibles and
forward of the forward hull.  The launcher holds a magazine of four missles,
loaded one at a time, it has a range of about 7 feet or so with pretty good
muzzle velocity.  The trick right now is getting the entire mechanism fully
buried into the hull with only the operating controls visable from the outside
and a hatch to load extra missles into the magazine.  Oh yes, I've decided to
add a maintenance hatch into the forward hold for R2 to fall into when the
going gets rough.  The smuggling bins are located elsewhere in the floor with
room fro three minifigs and one R2 unit.  R2 is kind of rotund and needs a
little extra space.

Those are my ramblings for now.

Ben