 Star Wars / 1813
1812  |  1814
Subject:
My TRU Experience...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 05:50:51 GMT

People seem to be big on sharing, soooo....

I got to TRU at about 10:30.  My friends all talked me down from my original
target arrival time of 9:00, and I'm glad they did.  When we got there, only
five people were already waiting, and apparently they all got there around 9-
so it probably would have landed me the same spot anyway.

The manager of the store came out and gave up a run-down of the ground rules-
they weren't setting specific limits, but reserved the right to invoke them as
necessary.  He felt it necessary to specifically tell us we were not to venture
into the storeroom- apparently, Hot Wheels collectors tend towards this
behavior.

The doors opened promptly at 12:01.  The toys were in a relatively small area,
and what's worse, they had few traffic patterns in and out of that area, so
people tended to get mired in the middle.  Fortunately, the Lego were in the
back of the setup.  I was already Ep 4-6 complete, so I nabbed a few of the
other sets (2 Naboo Fighters, 2 Naboo Swamps, 3 Lightsaber Duels, 1 Podrace, 1
Gungan Sub, 1 Droid FIghter).  There was no end to the stream of Lego sets,
although they didn't have the Sith Infiltrator or Anakin's Pod, which seems to
be the trend.  There were a few people there for the Leogs, it seemed- at least
one other guy headed straight for them and helped me search for the missing two
sets.  And, of course, there was at least one Lugnet celebrity there- but s/he
hasn't admitted yet, so I won't out him or her. :D

As far as other things went... only two items seemed to be highly sought-
after- the Darth Maul 3 3/4" figure, and the Darth Maul 12" figures (they got
*6* of the 12" figs!).  There was, however, very little fighting or nastiness-
probably because only those figures seemed to have a demand over the supply,
and the clerks were very good about opening new boxes on request.

The most interesting thing happened as we were leaving.  My friends and I were
the last ones out- there were 7 of us, and we grabbed two carts and dumped
everything into them, and sorted it out when the frenzy died down.  As we
gathered in the parking lot, someone drove up and parked and asked us how it
was.  We told him it was empty and that he could get pretty much whatever he
wanted, except Darth Maul, and he told us that the Kay Bee around the corner
had plenty of Maul figs.  It turrns out he worked there, and they were open
too- even though they were in a mall!  He said they had almost literally no one
in their store, and I can only assume he was dispatched for a little
reconnaisance/customer grabbing.  We asked if they had Sith Infiltrator Lego
sets- and they did!  So we went over to grab the last three they had.  They did
indeed have plenty of Darth Maul figs.  Of course, they were all ay K*B
Markups.  I didn't check if they had the elusive Anakin's Pod set- I was happy
to have the Mos Espa Podrace and saw no need to buy both.

That's about it.  It wasn't as neat and orderly as some I've seen described,
but it wasn't a real madhouse, either.  Friendliness and co-operation abounded,
even.

eric