 Star Wars / 17909
17908  |  17910
Subject:
5 New TIE Fighter MINI Models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:52:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello folks,

after many many months of absence, I finally can present some yet unpublished models to you. They’re all TIE fighters from the Expanded Universe but should be recognized by most Star Wars fans. Below are the image links with - a brief description - to the full galleries over at BrickShelf, complete with building instructions.

TIE Crawler

The TIE Crawler, or also known as Century Tank is a tracked version of the Empire’s TIE fighter. It appears in the “Dark Empire” comic series, and has also been released as a system-scaled playet by TLC recently. The MINI version almost has 100 pieces, mainly due to the tiny tread pieces. It also appeared in a recent issue of BrickJournal early this year.

TIE Defender

After having built the TIE Crawler, I remembered what Reto Geiger once told me, to build more Expanded Universe TIE models. So, the second one for today is the well-known TIE Defender. I immediately bought one of the latest Batman sets to get these lovely triangular technic hub pieces last year. These granted the triangular wing panel attachment. The wings are - by the way - the same which I already used for the older TIE Interceptor.

TIE Phantom

Also known from computer games - like the TIE Defender - is the so-called TIE Phantom, also featuring a triangular wing connection. New clicky hinges were used to stick 3x6 wedge plates into them. Those wedge plates fortunately have a gap on the underside between some stud notches which make the clicky hinges fit perfectly and providing quite stable wings.

TIE Droid

Another TIe from the Dark Empire series is the TIE Droid or TIE/D or TIE Drone respectively. A system-scaled model of this was also part of set no. 10131 - TIE Fighter collection. To realize the the uncommon wing angles I used those weird pieces coming with the large Knights Kingdom II figures. They’re called “Large Figure Shield Holder with Technic Axle”. They did their job here pretty well.

Scimitar Assault Bomber

The last fighter for today is not directly a TIE Fighter but a close relative. The Scimitar Assault Bomber appears in the Thrawn trilogy. Unlike the four other fighters you saw above, this one had to be designed in old grey colour, as the 2x2 cylinder piece does not come in light bley yet.

That’s it for today, thank you for your time an interest. See you soon!

Yours Christopher.

http://www.deckdesigns.de/