 Star Wars / 17872
17871  |  17873
Subject:
Building Millennium Falcon #3836
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 04:04:22 GMT

No photos up yet, but I decided to do something a little different for my build.
I built the model while watching Star Wars DVDs and wearing Star Wars shirts:

-DAY 1- LEGO Star Wars original Star Wars movie poster shirt
-SW:TPM- Started by opening the seals on the box (yes, _no_ presorting) and
finished page 44.  Still working on the core framework at this point.
Approximately 2:16 total building time.
-SW:AOTC- Partway through page 72 (completed sub-step 3).  The core frame is
complete, and I've started on the landing gear.  Approximately 4:38 total
building time.
-CLONE WARS V.1- Finished page 80.  The landing gear is complete, as is the
ventral skin of the cargo port (the opening between the mandibles) and the
underframe (the sections that are built studs-inward on the underside).
Approximately 5:48 total building time.
-CLONE WARS V.2- Finished sub-step 9 on page 96.  Installed the engine "glow"
section, and I'm well into the outer port mandible frame.  Approximately 6:52
total building time.
-SW:ROTS- Finished page 141.  Both mandible have frames and ventral skins.
Approximately 9:12 total building time
-SW:ANH (Bonus disc 1977 original release cut)- Finished page 165.  The mandible
pit greebles are installed, as are the boarding ramp and the matching hullpiece
on the port side, and the quadlaser pits are done except the gaskets and the
guns.  Approximately 11:13 total building time.
-SW:TESB (Bonus disc 1980 original release cut)- Finished page 198.  The
quadlasers are done, the ventral one is installed, the entire ventral surface is
skinned, and the port mandible is done.  Approximately 13:18 total building
time.
-SW:ROTJ (Bonus disc 1983 original release cut)- Finished page 240.  The
starboard mandible is done as are the dorsal skin for the cargo port, the entire
boarding ramp tunel and its matching portside hull section, and the ventral
portion of the cockpit is installed.  Approximately 15:30 total building time.

This is the point where I went to sleep, as between all the DVDs and the
between-build breaks (food, water, stretch my legs, etc.), I'd been working on
this from about 11am Saturday to 6:30am Sunday.  I started up again about 4pm
Sunday.

-DAY 2- Skywalker Ranch t-shirt (never been, but someone I knew picked it up for
me a few years back)
-DROIDS animated series DVD (only includes 8 of the 15 episodes, recut into
"movie" form)- Skinned the entire saucer section, and the cockpit and cockpit
tunnel, overskinned the area around the rectenna array, and installed the dorsal
quadlaser pit.  Approximately 18:23 total building time.
-R2-D2: BENEATH THE DOME- Added the overskin between the starboard mandible and
the cockpit tunnel, and the rectenna array.  Model is ostensibly complete at
this point (more on that below).  Approximately 18:44 total building time.

Now, after everything was built, I had leftover parts.  Lots of leftover parts.
Way more than Bricklink said I should have had.  In addition to the Bricklink
list:

1x black #2 friction pin
2x dark-bley Exo-bot hands
2x dark-bley 1x1 round plates
1x dark-bley #1.5 frictionless pin
2x dark-bley 1x1 tile-clip
2x light-bley Battle Droid arms
2x light-bley-on-light-bley control sticks
2x light-bley pneumatic t-junction
3x light-bley half-bushings
2x light-bley stud-pins
1x fleshy smiley minifig head
2x silvertone 1x1 round plates

...I also ended up with these extra parts:

2x dark-bley 2x2 tiles
1x light-bley umbrella stand
1x black #2 friction pin (yes, I had two extra)
23x left 2x4 wing
23x right 2x4 wing

The wings I'm guessing were originally shortpacked by one each, as the model
inventory lists 24 of each style, I _know_ I used more than one each (a quick
look found sections that use at least five each on the actual model), and there
was an entire bag full of just those two parts (slight bit of overkill, but
bonus for me I guess).  The other parts I tried to place by skimming back
through the instructions and seeing where they were called for that I might have
missed.  No luck on any of them, though I didn't tear the model down to the core
frame just to check every TECHNIC pin placement.  The one that really bugs me is
the umbrella stand, as the inventory lists 28 but I can only find 27 on the
completed model, and none that I missed in the instructions (and they should be
_really_ obvious, since aside from the quads and the cockpit, they're all
attached by tile-clips or Battle Droid arms).  Has anyone else had any similar
leftovers?