 Star Wars / 17498
17497  |  17499
Subject:
Some mods to a YT-1300
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:39:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Well, whilst not a usual poster to the Star Wars boards, I do lurk, often.

To de-lurk and maybe add some value to this board, I present a work in progress:

I know that someone else has already done some sweet mods to the falcon from Lego to make it more “authentic”, but then my ship is not the Falcon and the mods are my own, not copy. Here’s what I did.

First, I wanted more internal room so I moved the hyperdrive back by taking out superfluous bricks, and yanked out a ton of tan slope pieces. I then put plates in the four corners to add little niche rooms like captains quarters and a bathroom.

Second, I fixed the ramp so that it is not connected to the docking ring. The docking ring is fixed in place with a nice shelf for gear, and during flight the ramp is locked in place. I did not do much to the gunner’s chair, yet, other than to put a ladder leading into the one seat top gunner. I did change the gun to be something a little bigger.

Third, it always bugged me how there was no head room under the two “roof” pieces (the one that extends out to the cockpit, and the other that extends out over the cargo doors) so I refigured those to allow for head space.

Last, I made the cockpit so that two pilots can sit side by side, in chairs that swivel, with room enough for a person to stand behind them and ask annoying questions like, “What’s that flashing?” and, “Why are we still moving towards it?” And of course, I connected the cockpit with the main body by an open corridor.

I admit, its a bit ugly. I am working on cleaning it up. My first attempt was pretty, but there was no real support to hold the cockpit to the ship and it would fall off under its own weight.

There are also, as a consequence of my revamping the panel that goes over the cargo doors between the mandibles, a pair of concussion missile tubes.

Comments and gripes are welcome.

Here’s the folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=135609

Thanks, Avery