 Star Wars / 16696
Re: best...'fig...**ever**!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 02:17:05 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Franklin W. Cain wrote:
   I hate you. :P You post these **beautiful** sculptures, but *where* are the instructions on how we can build our own? I *know* I’ve got most of those pieces (“yup, got that piece, ooh, that looks familiar, too”), but darned if I can figure out how you’ve done the figure as a whole.

Seriously, though, **very** cool work. This one’s my favorite of them all, so far. :)

Thanks, Franklin

Thanks, Franklin!

I guess the biggest reason I haven’t made any kind of instructions for these guys is that I just haven’t had the time. I did make instructions for the Battle Droid, but that’s the only one so far.

I never do any planning beforehand when building something -- I just sit down in front of my pieces and start sticking things together, making the shapes up as I go along. I tried designing a model once in the computer first, but I found that it made things just more difficult. I like designing hands-on much better. So, that means that any instructions I make would be done after I finish building. I’d have to rip the figure apart just remember how it went together. Although, I’ve noticed recently that I’ve been swiping parts from old figures to use in new things, so as some characters are starting to really thin out, it’s probably a good idea that I start putting them into the computer so I can remember how to reassemble them. If I do that, I’ll definitely turn them into instructions.

Another thing, too, is that all the pieces I’ve used in them are ones that I’ve just got lying around. I don’t special order anything, so I just use what I already have. So, that means I might have built the figure differently had I had better parts. Sometimes I feel like if I were to make instructions for one of them, it would kind of be like saying, “this is how it must be done.” I know other people could surely come up with some better parts choices in plenty of instances -- I know there’s more than a few of them I’d do much differently had I done them now instead.

Basically, though, I guess it just boils down to the fact that, in general, I’d just prefer to spend all the spare time I can get building new stuff, instead of rebuilding old stuff. But, I really would like to be able to re-use all those parts from the one’s I’ve built, so instructions would let me do that. Someday!

-Mike