 Star Wars / 15861
15860  |  15862
Subject:
New 1592 variation: Endor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:55:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all,

Most of you know about the various re-imaginations of set 1592:

I submit for your approval a variation set on Endor from Star Wars VI, Return of
the Jedi:
http://www.ozbricks.net/bricktales/misc/1592/1592endor.html
Brickshelf gallery:

Some design notes:
The Ewok home and the Imperial bunker seemed pretty obvious substitutions for
the house and castle from set 1592.  I had problems with the food stand--it just
didn't seem like there should be another building there and still fit with the
Endor theme.  I considered just going with a thicket of trees, but that seemed
too abstract.  I figured the catapult from Ewok Attack was about the right size
and shape to replace it.
The statue from 1592 was also an issue--nothing looked right there.  Finally I
went with C-3PO standing there, on the assumption that some day the Ewoks will
build a C-3PO statue, perhaps on that very location.
The vehicles seemed pretty obvious replacements, so I just went with the
official designs rather than trying to come up with my own AT-ST.
On the characters, 4 Scout Troopers replacing the 4 soldiers seemed obvious.
Leia replaced the woman.  The guy in the tux made me think of Han Solo in his
white shirt/black vest.  I had that initially but then decided he was better in
Endor gear.  That left five minifig spots to fill (since C-3PO was standing in
for the statue), which worked perfect for the remaining key players in the rebel
assault.  I really should have put one of the Ewoks by the tree, but for the
sake of color contrast I put R2 there and put the Ewok with Leia in the parade.

Acknowledgements:
Of course this starts with Holger Matthes and anyone who did 1592 variations.
This design was in part inspired by Jean-Marc Detraz:
and Jesse Houston (Noch Vader):
http://www.nochvader.com/endor.html
Having just seen Jesse's Ewok village, Jean-Marc's use of a tree house in his
1592 variation immediately made me think of Endor.
Fiona Dickinson's trees have helped improve my tree building style:
The blasters are all by Blasterman Jeff Byrd and are available through From
Bricks to Bothans:
http://www.fbtb.net/

PLMKWYT,
Bruce