 Star Wars / 15784
Re: BioniWars: SandToaper...s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 05:40:15 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Joe Meno writes:
I've been looking at all of these as they show up, and I really like the
SandToaper the best.

     As I've said before, my favorites haven't been posted quite yet.

The Bionicle parts really lend themselves to this 'genre', and I like how you >maintained the posability.

     They were intended to be constructable action figures.  I've found that
the pieces lend themselves very well to any similarly scaled action figure.
I've got six others based on famous non-SW characters designed (not to
mention the ten other L5R dragons), though only one is finished right now
(and it'll be a few months before I can post any of them).  I've also got a
few non-specific ones based on general themes or my own imagination.  And
you should see the one I posted on Halloween of 2001:

http://www.maskofdestiny.com/article.asp?i=6640

     I try to keep the posability intact as much as possible, but sometimes
it doesn't work out.  The shoulders on the Super BatToa Droid, for instance,
are hard-mounted just like the hips, and there are no gears anywhere on it.
The BatToa Droid's left arm is also hard-mounted, though the right arm can
pivot, and since the other three variations (designed, but mostly in black)
don't wear backpacks, they don't have hard-mounted shoulders at all.  Of
course, I don't like floppy poses, so I slip #2 plus-rods into the shoulder
plates to lock the arm gears in place most of the time, and the result is
that I've gotten a bit casual about mounting things to the central
gearshaft.  Jango's backpack is attached to it, as is his chest armor.  Same
thing for the chest armor/plate on the CloneToaper, StormToaper,
SandToapers, and Darth Vatoa.  I still like using a three-way gearbox so I
can angle the shoulders however I want, which really helps out with all of
the Toapers who have mismatched arms (if you pay attention, you'll notice
that they've got Throwbot limbs for their trigger arms, and Toa legs for
their support arms, with the exception of the black-pauldroned SandToaper,
who is using the Throwbot limb for the macrobinocs, and is just letting the
gun hang loose at his side with a Toa leg).

Your detailson the arm and leg parts i nice too...those parts just don't lend >themselves to attaching other parts.

     I have to get a bit tricky to do it, too.  A 1x4 flat liftarm is easy
to attach, but it can conflict with the shoulder joint.  Instead, I have to
use a 1x3 flat liftarm, a 1x2 flat liftarm, a #2 plus-rod, and a 1.5
dark-grey pin to make this odd little interlocking rig that won't spin.  It
works pretty well (and you can even fudge attachments to it, as seen on
Jango and the SBD), but those 1x2 liftarms are prime pieces, and I burn
through #2 plus-rods like candy at a parade.  It's a problem with building
lots of tight little twisty designs to sculpt TECHNIC pieces into the shape
you want.

PS. Like your BatToa Droid too!

     Figures.  I posted a 24 inch long eastern fire dragon that took me
about half a year to complete, and around the same time I also posted a
Bohrok in the H.R. Giger "Alien" style that took me less than a day from
buying the spare Vader set to posting pics of the completed MOC, and you
wouldn't believe the number of people who tell me, "Yeah, the dragon's neat
and all, but it's nothing compared to Noaoke Bohrok!"  I still don't
understand it...