 Star Wars / 10099
10098  |  10100
Subject:
SW Lego found at Wal-Mart; Imperial Shuttle!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 19:56:54 GMT

This morning I went to the Wal-Mart here in Derby, CT and lo and behold;
tons of new lego.  They had a few LOM things, some small Studios sets, and,
I think, all of the new classic SW lego.  They had the TIE Fighter, AT-ST,
Droid Escape, and Imperial Shuttle.  I'm pretty sure this is the first time
that the AT-ST and the Shuttle were found.  These were the two I picked up.

The AT-ST is simply horrible.  I can't stand it.  The legs are too big for
its size.  It takes 5 minutes to stand up right.  Theres a 1x2 area in the
cockpit that would have been perfect to put a control tile, but they didn't.
Theres 2x2 inverse white slope with printing in there, overhead, but there
really should have been some controls, especially with a 1x2 area for one.
This set sucks, and could have been much better even at $10.  Like the
X-Wing, but 10 times worse, as this is a bad lego model as well as bad star
wars model.

The Shuttle, on the other hand, is the coolest set I've purchased in years.

Indeed it has 4 mini-figs.  Labeled "Imperial Shuttle Pilot" in the
instruction book, he has a new cool torso and a normal ol' "police cheif"
hat, like that in the Flash Speeder.  He has a smiley head.

The interior is large enough to hold quite a few troops for quick deployment
<g> even standing up.  However, they made the floor have two 1x8 tiles on it
and put two 1x2 plates with groves on the side (like for motors, and in
GREEN!) for a little platform to side in and out that the guards and
Palpatine sit on, so you can easily take them out and in.  It's okay for
sitting these three figs, but for troop transport you'll want to be rid of
the platform and tiles altogether.  The inside has one green 2x4 brick
(wierd) and six 2x2 blue bricks.  It looks okay, though.  The only real
downside to this set is the engine exaust.  The rear hatch (which folds up
and down to become a ramp) has 4 1x2 trans-blue grill tiles on it.  This
looks really lame.  The model could be the coolest thing in the world with
some a little modifacation; changing colors, giving the cockpit more than a
1x2 stingray tile (it can hold much more) and the like.  It has 8 2x4 white
round-like slopes, like in those little Octane trucks from long ago.  The
set is wonderful to build and when you spill out the bags it feels very
classic space-ish with tons of plates, bricks, engines,  and what-not.  *4*
white SW wings!  The amount of 4xX/6xX plates 7-8.   Printed pieces look
cool and welcome rather that SPUDdy.  It makes up for the awfulness of the
AT-ST.  I hope they make an AT-AT similarily to the Shuttle.

--Josh