 Star Wars / *16529 (-20)
  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

[ XFUT lugnet.org ] (...) Yes. (...) The devil seems to have plenty of legal representatives. :-) (...) It _is_ also something that is hard to do. And hopefully we can find a better solution than just depending on a LEGO sponsorship. We have already (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) There are a couple of reasons that there isn't more "corporate" presence on LUGNET. First and most important, the owners of the site have by and large declined it. Like you mentioned, the reason for this was to stay independent, and as far as (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains) !!

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) I think that this is a real problem with the proposed new site. What are the chances that a site with official TLC backing will allow discussion of pictures in dealer catalogs? Or 'leaks'? Who knows if such a site would even allow criticism of (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) To spell out the concern directly: it seems like this new site will either add yet one more new place to look, or else kill off one or more existing ones. Or -- and this seems unfortunately possible -- *both*. But as I said elsewhere, that's (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) So, to, I guess, play the *other* devil's advocate: I'm concerned about how this new thing will be *both* genuinely community-run _and_ Official Lego Company Sponsored. I don't know the details -- and may even be completely wrong, but it's my (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) Thanks! (...) The idea is that LEGOFan will be very closely integrated with the other sites. We would love to both incorporate external data, and share any data we have locally. Our goal is not to replace anyone, or push any other site out of (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

[ XFUT lugnet.org ] (...) In the long run we hope to share data - or at least have a stronger integration than just links - with other LEGO fan sites. But the initial release will probably just link to most of these sites. (...) We expect that (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) The main reason is that LUGNET is not owned and run by the community. I love LUGNET, and I think Todd (and Suz, before she retired) did a great job in setting it up and running it. However, development on LUGNET can only be done by invitation. (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains) !

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

[ XFUT lugnet.org ] (...) Reading the announcement, I must agree that LEGOFan.net seems redundant. But some things didn't get into the announcement; things _I_ believe will make LEGOFan.net (and WorldLUG as I understand it) significantly different (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

[ XFUT lugnet.org ] (...) It is not something that has been discussed so far, but I am pretty sure the answer will be that it does not exclude clone bricks. Play well, Jacob (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

<playing devils advocate here> I think the main issue is fantastic resource tho it is, it is still a privately owned website. Despite the huge fan involvement in the site it remains private property. Todd is at total liberty to do as he wishes with (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

In lugnet.build, Richard Morton wrote: <snip> (...) Wadda? I'm sorry to say this, but this is the worst lack of respect towards Lugnet and this community I've seen in a long time. What would your website do if not copy what Lugnet does? Why come on (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains) !

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

Hi everyone Please forgive my ignorance but could someone explain what LUGNET is if it does not meet the description of a LEGO fansite? I have read some of the posts regarding WorldLUG and now LEGOFan.net but I may be missing something here. Also, (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) Not necessarily too late for this to be added.... (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) True. Lugnet discussion forums are excellent. And the ability to access via HTTP, SMTP, and NNTP is probably unique and not done anywhere else online. Where Lugnet totally missed the boat was with _PRIVATE_ message boards. Lugnet never created (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) Bah! They wouldn't even know. With all the color variations, parts variations and other smokescreen construction tidbits I could get away with a clone in every MOC if I really put my brick to it. The Mania magazine doesn't even make that (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) That all sounds good. Just don't let Jake force you to focus on Trains and hog up all the space for that theme! ;o) I'd like to see something that has real news, focus on current and upcoming product and the good product history. We also need (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) As central as Lugnet is to portions of the online LEGO community, I believe there are other audiences that consider themselves LEGO fans, who would benefit from a more structured interconnected community than Lugnet provides. It would makes (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

Matthew Miller wrote in message ... (...) Ditto to both. I don't what YAFGTR (Yet Another Fan Group to Read), but if I have to, please PLEASE make it NNTP accessible. Take into account that the posting rate on LUGNET goes WAY down when NNTP is out (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact