 Sports / 3
  New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer

A new newsgroup lugnet.football has just been created. Brad Justus of LEGO Direct said that Soccer (i.e., Football) is officialy not part of the Town product line and that it's its own product line. Going by this and by the set numbers, it seems (...) (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.town, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer

(...) Just to be picky, we Australians also call it soccer. "Football" here generally refers to Australian Rules Football (AFL) although I think that it may also refer to Rugby(?) depending on where you live in Aust. (Can't say for sure, I'm not a (...) (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer

(...) Oh! OK, I'll fix that on the webpage. OK, added the word "most" and now it says this: ("Soccer" is the U.S. name for what is called "Football" most everywhere else in the world.) That's what I've heard for years and years, anyhow. What's it (...) (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer

(...) Even here (Aus) the official theme name is still Football although all the Aus. AFOLs here on Lugnet refer to the sets as "soccer" in normal conversation. Lego Australia calls it Football, and so does the annual catalog. Deidre drb@tasmail.com (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer

(...) Aha!! Interesting! OK, hmm, so, OK, can we back up a bit? So, what you're saying (taking both of your posts into account) is that: 1. The official name of the LEGO product line in Australia is "LEGO Football" and not "LEGO Soccer," and 2. (...) (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer

(...) Yes. (...) Yup, it's soccer. Football possibly refers to Rugby in some parts of Aus, but generally football refers to AFL which is a different game altogether. (...) Yes, but I don't think Lego Australia think for themselves in matters such as (...) (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer

(...) Expanding on this point: In Australia "round ball football" is called Soccer universally. It is very popular with schoolkids and there is a national competition (see (URL) ). There are three other codes of football that have a major following (...) (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer

In lugnet.football, David Low writes: <some really good descriptions of different Aust. football codes snipped> Nicely explained, thankyou! I was hoping someone would explain it in more detail, I am really out of my depth with anything other than (...) (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.sports for Football/Soccer

(...) Does that mean that there will be more sets next year? A green bus, concession stands or perhaps the famous soccer van? I'll keep my fingers crossed... Kev Z #142 (24 years ago, 3-Aug-00, to lugnet.sports)

  (canceled)