 Space / 9418
  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Ion drives will not be in use in 2003. The only form of space engines that are currently in production are rockets. There are liquid-fuelled rockets, which can be turned on and off ("throttled"), and there are solid-fuel rockets which cannot (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

Wrong! Ion rockets are in use now, and have been for 30 years. They're just not big enough to for sub-orbital work. See (URL) Drew ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kyle D. Jackson" <flightdeck@sympatic...mblock.ca> To: <lugnet.space@lugnet.com>; (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Are you sure about this? I believe there are ion drives in use on some research sats already. They are extremely low thrust mercury based but have, again, been shown to work for stationkeeping, unless my memory is completely fried. I want to (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Deep Space One, among others, but that was of course only the testbed in 1999-2000. Isn't the service life only about six months on the units being sent up now? (I know one has run longer, but the expected life is only about 150-180 days.) (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Perhaps I was referring to the fact that they may have been trying to build larger ion engines for space travel? I know that these engines are a defininte possibility and I apologize for my error, David. Jesse Long (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) A) saying something based on assumption, and B) venturing out of atmospherics ;] In retrospect though, JAL seemed to imply that these things were going to be installed on the Shuttle or something in 2003 and I said "no way". When I think space (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Why do you say with your words that ion engines will not be used on the Space Shuttle in 2003, Kyle. What you fail to realize is that ion drives were invented in society long ago. Do not argue with me on this, Kyle, because just last week I (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Um, because he tried saying it with his toes and it didn't work out? I used to try typing with my toes and it made a big mess. My big toe was too big to work the backspace key right. (...) Because everyone knows that we are all going to be (...) (23 years ago, 24-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) I've got 3 words for you, buddy: Commodore-64! (...) He-he ;] That was pretty good! KDJ ___...___ LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada (23 years ago, 24-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)