 Space / 9316
    Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big] —Jesse Alan Long
   (...) Dave, you are correct in observing a small mistake concerning the rockets. There were parachutes that helped the rockets land in the ocean but even so, in a unique way, the parachute acted not only with but against the retro rockets because (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big] —William R. Ward
   (...) There are no retro rockets used in an Apollo re-entry to Earth. Only the heat of friction and the parachutes slow the ship down from orbital speeds to the slow speed required for a safe splashdown. (...) If there was such a laboratory it would (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big] —Kyle D. Jackson
     (...) [snip] (...) <Chuckle> Well, this is close, but not entirely correct :] The airplane goes into a climb, and then in one fluid motion levels and enters a dive. It's during the arced portion of the flight that the occupants experience zero-G. (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

        Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big] —Jesse Alan Long
   (...) I think I was possibly referring to the "vomit comet" when I was talking about the laboratory, Bill. I do appreciate the fact that you made me consider an attempt on weightlessness I never thought of in my mind when you mentioned the swimming (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)