 Space / 7736
Re: Martian Ears?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 19:34:15 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Jonathan Mizner writes:
Many of my Martians have ears.  Is this a production fault, or are some of
them the "rebel" Martians?  It is strange, because some have oval-shaped
ears of either side of their heads, perfectly formed.  Others have only the
side of their head there.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Has anyone else
mentioned this?
I considered the caste idea, but as there are only two types of Martians,
w/ ears or w/out ears, I doubt that is the case.
*cough*please-see-my-post-about-Martian*cough*.

Are you referring to this post? http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=5846
No need to cough about it -- it had some good ideas.

That dealt somewhat with the issue.  I believe there are Guards, Pilots,
Scientists, Labor, and Leaders (have that little 1x1 flat piece on their
front).

Rebel vs non-rebel seems to be more likely, although I noted that one of my
Altairs has ears while my other does not.  Perhaps both one side is a clone
of the other, with matching vehicles?

In a bee hive there are only two castes, queens and workers (drones don't
really do anything except make sperm for the queen). Like the Martian
leaders, queens look slightly different from workers. Like the regular
Martians, the workers do all sorts of different jobs, like cleaning the
hive, caring for new larvae, and foraging for food and water.

Have you noticed which Martians have the ear knobs?  I think Ben may have
been on to something -- they could be sexual characteristics. We know that
female minifigs almost always have red lipstick -- maybe Martians have
something similar going on on the sides of their heads. Perhaps some Altairs
are male and some are female (or whatever sex Martians are...).

Clones are a possibility, but in that case you'd expect them to be identical
to the originals. If they're rebels why are they cooperating with the other
Martians?

What does Lego think?

If you want an answer from a LEGO employee, try posting in lugnet.lego.direct:
lugnet.dear-lego is the "wish list" group. It also helps to keep the thread
all in the same newsgroup -- try crossposting, to keep it active in
lugnet.space, where I think most interested people will find your message.

--DaveL