 Space / 6477
Re: Some Classic Spacemen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:34:19 GMT

In lugnet.market.appraisal, John D. Forinash writes:
In article <G7xyEM.7E6@lugnet.com>,
Ben Gatrelle <ben@yellowcastle.spam.com> wrote:
Rick, What is the quality of the Space logo on the chest of the figs?  I've
seen prices on these from a dollar or two each up to five or six dollars
each on eBay.  The better the quality of the logo, the more value, of
course. The chins on these older helmets often got cracked, so value is
decreased. (This is in part why TLC changed their helmet design.) Red and
white are the most common color of classic space men, black and yellow are
more rare.

Interesting. I find I have more yellow and red than anything else-- later in
the classic Space run, white became much less common and most sets seemed
to come with yellow and/or red astronauts. On the other hand, this may not
be representative of Lego in general; there were a number of years where
white and red were all there was.

Blue, on the other hand, I find to be more uncommon. Black so uncommon
that I don't actually have one anymore; I can place all the parts but
the torso. :)

-JDF

Interesting.

Most people don't realize but although yellow was not available in the mass
produced sets at the beginning, yellow was available in 1,2 and 3 minifigure
blister packs as early as 1979-1980.  In Europe probably.  You will find the
reference and pic on the set reference on Lugnet.

I, personally, was floored to learn this when I did.  I thought yellow came
much later than red and white.  Comments?

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.