 Space / 586
Re: I just noticed something
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:28:58 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Eaton writes:
Pick up 6954 Renegade, and see what all the fuss is about. IMHO, the • ultimately
best spaceship Lego ever made. Coincidentally, one of the very few
non-symetrical ships as well. The colors, the suits, the ship's design, and • the
phenomenal functionality all make it an absoloutley amazing set.

If you don't have anything other than Alienator, you might also not realize
Blacktron I's real interchangeability-- each set was made up of modules
(Alienator only had 2) that could be interchanged within the set and ALSO with
other Blacktron I sets. Renegade had 6 modules as I recall (plus two • detachable
'ships' and a car), Battrax had 3, Invader had 3... and I never got the • Message
Intercept Base, so I don't know much about that... but you could switch
cockpits and engines and cargo bays, etc., from each set and mix and match
modules-- it was wonderful.

The other appeal, I think, is the romanticism with it. It was the first
subtheme for space and perhaps the most "evil-looking" as well... which makes
it perfect to fit in with dramatic storylines. They were the first all-black
spaceships, and they stuck to the color scheme tremedously well. There was
only yellow and black, really (with a hint of trans-red and a light grey
seat in Invader for no apparent reason). Other "evil" looking space lines
have been a little more 'friendly-looking' in my opinion. And everyone who • grew
up with Lego in the mid-to-late 80's remembers looking at that 1987 catalog • for
the first time and frothing with desire at the sight of these new sets. Hence,
it made a huge impression-- also anyone who started their storylines then only
really had two groups anyway, the "classic" space and Blacktron.

Except for the Renegade, I'm complete (I think) in Blacktron 1.  The message
intercept base is huge, and completely awesome, and I love the battrax too.
It's a balance of color, design, and just darn fun playability that really
makes Blacktron 1 appeal to me.  Besides, they fought against the original
space police, who had the way cool black/blue/transred color scheme.

Adrian
--
http://junior.apk.net/~tremor/lego.html