 Space / 4897
Re: Space models by Brandon Grifford
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 05:54:10 GMT

"Rick Hallman" <Sephiroths@REMOVEHotmail.com> wrote in message
news:G4n381.K32@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:
The Annihilator is a long-range cruiser gunboat, complete with
living amenties for four, and firepower to match a ship twice its size.
Atmospheric flight/planetary landing capable, entry/egress through hatch
leading to roof.

Nice to see someone making an 'actual' gunboat. not one of these cheap • thing
that my devestator-in-progress (from WIng Commander:Prophecy) could • outmatch
and outfly.

Yup. I was impressed the first time I saw it.  If you didn't notice, there
are two bunks on board, one (dark) picture shows a minifig sleeping in it.
They're on either side, towards the rear, in the side walls of the ship.
Also, the pic of the minifig sitting along the back wall... well, he was
going to the bathroom on the stow-away potty.  I love the heavy-duty ladder
with the click hinges to get out, and the little mini kitchen for the figs
to eat at.

What I would like to see would be a ship of equal or slightly larger size
designed totally for zero-g flight (this one looks designed for artificial
gravity).  That way you can put internal equipment on all four walls and
have a lot more storage space.  Bunks or sleeping lockers in the 'floor,'
anyone? :-)

Mark Sandlin suggested to me it have turrets, to defend against smaller
fighters which are more agile than this is.

The Scorpion is an atmospheric heavy bomber, with pilot
and bombardier stations.  Also capable of dogfights and long-range ship • to
ship combat.

Looks like a heavy bomber. Got tons of missiles on it.

Yup... may be too littered with stuff, but I like how it looks and feels.
The cockpit, when seen in detail, is amazing.  Sorry guys, I'm not allowed
to post the DAT file. :-(

Interesting trivia - the Annihilator fell from 6 ft on a shelf to the floor.
In the falling process it tipped upside down and when it hit, hte only
things which broke were a couple hinge and wing pieces on the top.  The rest
of the ship was built so solid it didn't have so much as a crack on it.

The pieces that broke broke quite uniquely.  A tube under a plate was forced
outward like a rivet in all directions and flattened, and a 1x2 hinge brick
base was mangled.  The 2x2 hinge top surface (newer, from SW) was mashed
funny too.  I wish I had a camera good enough to take close up shots of the
damage to show.

I'm still shocked that the ship didn't so much as strain and crack from the
fall.  It weighs about 2-3 lbs and is rock solid.  Built very well, and I
can imagine, very well armored against enemy fire.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne