 Space / 4829
Re: New Themes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:32:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jude Beaudin writes:
Todd,
Now that new themes are showing up in stores and in our collections :-),
it may be time to add Studios and Life on Mars into the theme heirarchy
here on LUGNET. After all the LOM comments are falling into .space and
we all know this is not related to Classic Space or one of it's sub-themes.

(I'm assuming you mean the newsgroup hierarchy.)

That's a Good Question.  A Tough Question.  A year ago, I wouldda said, "Yah,
fer sure," but today I'm a bit leary of adding more upper-layer newsgroups
because LEGO seems to be phasing out LEGO SYSTEM and closing the gap between
product programmes (e.g., LEGO SYSTEM, LEGO DUPLO, LEGO BABY, LEGO TECHNIC,
etc.), systems (e.g., Adventurers, Underground, Castle, etc.), and play
themes (e.g., Dino Island, Rock Raiders, Knights' Kingdom, etc.).  That is,
long ago, the new play themes appeared in a clear place within the LEGO
product hiearchy -- but now all the lines are blurred.

If we make groups for each recent category -- i.e., lugnet.actionwheelers,
lugnet.lifeonmars, lugnet.legoracers, lugnet.legostudios, lugnet.alphateam,
etc., would there be another half dozen next year, and the year after that,
and the year after that?  Apparently, Bionicle, Battle Cars, and Speed
Slammers are part of the LEGO TECHNIC product programme, but where do the
others go?  Is Alpha Team part of Town? -- we won't know until we see the
set numbers.

My instincts today tell me that it may be wiser long-term to adapt to LEGO's
new (apparent) paradigm of category-loosening and create more generalized
upper-layer groups only as needed.  For example, Action Wheelers isn't DUPLO
and it isn't SYSTEM and it isn't DUPLO Toolo, but it's a lot like DUPLO Toolo.
Thus, all things considered, the lugnet.duplo group (or creating a lugnet.
duplo.toolo group) might be the best place to discuss Action Wheelers, rather
than making a new upper-level group for it.  I guess it depends on how long
the product line will last -- and we don't know that.

I?ll just answer this point. It is ?toolo?. The only reason that it is not
called toolo is to do with the way toolo was marketed to retailers the first
time around.  Before the release of toolo, it was hyped to retailers as ?the
next big thing? by Lego. Retailers pre-ordered  a lot of toolo. The release
went well ? retailers bought even more ? even though the first lot was not
sold. Just at that point, the market died. The retailers were left with a lot
sets which they could not sell.

So when the product was re-released this year a new name was required.

I was told this a few months ago by a sceptical toy shop owner ? who still has
original toolo on his shelves.

Scott A

I don't have a problem with Life on Mars stuff being talked about in the
lugnet.space group if nobody else does...until we know more about where it
sits in the global product line.  If it's a problem for die-hard Space fans,
we could put it as a subgroup of lugnet.space and say that from now on, the
.space group means "space-style stuff" instead of strictly "LEGO SYSTEM Space"
stuff.

As more new official (and unofficial) building categories pop up, these sorts
of questions cross my mind more and more.  For example, we don't currently
have any good area for talking about ancient stuff -- Rome, Greece, Egypt,
temples, coliseums, etc.  That could go under .build like .mecha did, but
maybe an upper-layer group would be better, even in the absense of an official
product category.

--Todd