 Space / 4802
4801  |  4803
Subject:
Some thoughts on Life on Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 05:25:51 GMT

I just purchased the Solar Explorer from the Toys R Us near the Mall of
Georgia.  (They had everything except the Tunnel Hangar set).  I've got
mixed emotions about the Solar Explorer, I really hate the solar panel POOP,
but I like the engines.  There are hints of classic space:  modules,
explorers, classic ray guns, etc.

What I like (specifically about the Solar Explorer).  A really interesting
2x2 round tile with a Legonardo Da Vinci picture of a lego man.  I like the
uniforms and the silver helmets and silver visors... I may upgrade my
starship crew with these uniforms.  I like the modularity.  There is an
attempt to make this ship look like an early exploration ship.  I also like
the fact that as a lego spaceship... It's got engines. (I love many classic
spaceships... but many lack proper propulsion).

What I hate.  It uses Insectoid computers and decorative tiles.  The color
scheme doesn't "flow."  The cockpit doesn't open.  One explorer has a space
suit.. but no gloves.  Silly faces.  The kid's face with the orange hair is
horrid (Timmy has a little brother), and the goofy looking dump truck driver
makes an apperance.

Overall I give this set a 5 out of 10.  Just average, but it is interesting.
It wasn't just a quick throw together set, it took a little time.  Not $30+
worth though.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris <><