 Space / 41438
41437  |  41439
Subject:
Four new MINI models from the Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica Universe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.microscale
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:32:50 GMT

Greetings all,

it’s been a while since I posted something new. Some real-life issues kept me busy, including a flat movement to another city. Now it’s time to come back to building. :-)

While most of you might know me for building Star Wars MINI models, I am also interested in other popular Science Fiction series. These include Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica.

Two small models which I never had time to photograph yet, are presented first. They’re both rarely seen models from the Star Trek Universe.

Can you remember the TNG episode “Relics” featuring Scotty from TOS? He was aboard the USS Jenolan, an ancient Sydney-class starship, a small but nice cruiser. The only other appearance of this ship class is, as far as I know, in one DS9 epsiode.

Sydney-class starship

The next ship only appears in “Star Trek: The Motion Picture”. The “Surak” is a nice little Vulcan warpshuttle of unique shape. The ship made me especially happy as I finally found a chance to use Technic forklift pieces for a mini model.

Vulcan Warpshuttle

All Star Trek MINI models can be seen on BrickShelf.

Now let’s switch to another beautiful SciFi Universe - Battlestar Galactica. Being a fan of the original series from the 70s, I also try to capture as many ships of the so-called Rag-Tag-Fleet as possible, besides the more famous types.

A commonly seen ship in the rows of the Rag-Tag-Fleet is the aerodynamic luxury Liner “Rising Star”. You might also remember the episode “Murder on the Rising Star” where the ship plays a main role.

The Rising Star

Among the more rarely seen Rag-Tag-Ships are the three Agro ships, sighted in the episode “Saga of a Star World” for example. Another one, the Agro 9, can be seen in the episode “The Magnificent Warriors”. These ships are however borrowed designs from the movie “Silent Running” (1972) and thus identical with the “Valley Forge” in this movie. To realize the crane-like support structure of the starship, old red 1x16 train signal masts were used.

Agro Ship

All Battlestar Galactia models can be seen on BrickShelf.

That’s all for today! Thanks for your interest and stepping by!

Yours Christopher

http://www.deckdesigns.de/