 Space / 41301
Re: RIP Arthur C. Clarke
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 02:09:43 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bob Parker wrote:
   http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23697230/

His sci-fi genius will be missed.

:^(

Yes indeed. When I heard this news I was deeply saddened, though not really surprised. I mean, he was 90, after all, and he suffered from post-polio syndrome, so I’d say that he got his money’s worth for this ride!

I first read his collected short stories a year or so ago. A few clunkers, but most of them were poignant, insightful, and clever. The Star may rank as one of my all-time favorite s/f stories.

Prolific, long-lived, and endlessly passionate about science. One could hope to leave no finer history of oneself. Well, aside from his stubborn support of cold fusion, but who’s counting?

;)

Dave!