 Space / 40650
40649  |  40651
Subject:
Wide-bodied Classic Space freighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2006 18:41:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all,

Here’s the result of my latest tinkering. This is a prototype, and I’m still exploring color schemes. Likely the windscreens will be switched to trans dark-blue, for one change. Not sure I like having two CS logos side-by-side on the front. Still thinking about what to do there.

I try to work as closely to the style of Classic Space as I can, while exploring different designs. I particularly like, and am inspired by, LL 918 and LL 924, for they both fit neatly on the old landing-pad plate (LL 928 seemed a bit large for the plate). Though I’ve enjoyed all the giant custom space ships I’ve seen, I really like working at “playable” scales (a model that can be carried), and enjoy the challenge of trying to add as many features as possible in a small package.

In the case of my LL 944, I was striving for something that fit neatly on the landing pad, and could hold more than one or two of the 924 “coolers”. Five to seven of the more modern cargo containers fit in the back. Or, the freighter has removable seats (like many minivans of today) that can fit in the cargo area for about five passengers (on top of the two crew)--I actually haven’t put that many people in there yet, so it hasn’t been tested. Two of these seats fit in the rear doors--it takes a trusting sort to ride there. ;O)

Have a Merry and a Happy!

Wolf