 Space / 40602
Re: My Return to Classic Space!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:27:08 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, John Knight wrote:
Ok... it's not that I actually left but I'm back with more Classic Space
inspired and styled MOC's! Earlier in 2006 I posted this mess of MOC's on
Brickshelf:
I got some feedback that there big ship needed some details and I completely
agreed.

The Galaxy Explorer inspired GALACTIC Explorer (Mark III) is now boasting four
crew cabins a slightly larger cargo bay and a working Capissen 40 engine
(upgraded from those troublesome Capissen 38's) ;) More greebling than I've ever
done and Moonbase complient airlocks on the port and starboard tips of the
wings. In the recent upgrades, an enlarged infirmary with three two beds and a
working holographic full body imager (it really moves!).
The cargo bay lift is still a full sized base plate that has better access
through the sliding rear cargo doors (another slight nod to the original that
inspired it).  I added appropriate ladders to anywhere the crew could/should be
able to access while in 1G. Various hoses and switches at appropriate and
otherwise empty spaces add a bit of that homey feeling.
For those that like the numbers, she's 149 studs long and 96 studs wide.
The various support craft with the exception of the squarish armored blue
crusier were built by me. My son built the sturdy blue Galactic Cruiser (his
first public classic space moc!). The gray and yellow "Signal Hog" is a modified
military electronic counter measures craft that is used for exploration.
Sporting long range EM sensors, the Hog can jump into new, uncharted space and
perform preliminary survey work prior to the Galactic Explorer showing up and
finishing the job. It also has a moonbase compliant docking port (as does the
Galactic Cruiser) which also allow for orbital docking with the big ship.
All in all it was a long brickless summer and with the fall I returned to the
brick. Thanks go out to Jason Spear for suppling some much needed bricks! With
the recent news of the return to SPACE by Lego, I felt it was time to take some
pics and spread the good word! SPACE!

John Knight

Brickshelf Gallery:

Vimeo Video of working Capissen 40 engine!
http://www.vimeo.com/clip:117352

As always, feedback and comments welcome!

I love it!  I know that's not very constructive, but there you go!  I have a
certain fondness for unofficial variations on the Classic Space theme, and
you've definitely made a cool contribution to that end!

I particularly like the three-quarter shot:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/johnmknight/ClassicSpace/ge_threequater.jpg
But is there any chance we could see it at a larger image size?  I'd like to see
a bigger photo of the whole ship (though the detail shots are certainly great,
too!)

Excellent work, and thanks very much for sharing.

Dave!