 Space / 40160
40159  |  40161
Subject:
Boeing 737-400 Minifig Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.town, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 05:37:47 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
Has a Technic passenger jet like this ever been made in this large of scale
before?

That's big!  Oh, by the way, its very well done too.  Studless beams place in
that fashion are almost exactly like the skeleton of a real passenger jet.
Heck, the engines even light up!

Thanks Nathan,

Sorry guys, I wanted to introduce the plane to everybody earlier, but up until
now I didn’t have posting rights yet.  So with no further adieu, I present to
you my latest MOC, and sixth Technic Airplane... My personal greatest:

BOEING 737-400

These specifications are also in the folder, but the blurp at the end is not:

Length:                 132cm (4ft 4in)
Wingspan:               114cm (3ft 9in)
Height:                 41cm (1ft 4in)
Width of Fuselage:      13cm (5in)

Seats:                  2 crewmembers
                        160 passengers

Luggage Capacity:       Zero (that’s right, all the space under the floor is
                        completely used)

Weight
(no passengers):        7.0kg (15.4lb)

Power:
                        1x RCX
                        1x 9V Battery box
                        1x 4 cylinder pressure regulated pneumatic compressor
                        2x Pneumatic air tank

Functions:

Elevators, Ailerons, Rudder:
Controlled with 3-axis joystick through cable connections.

Retractable Landing gear with landing gear bay doors:
Actuated by three large pneumatic cylinders and one small cylinder.

Flaps:
Five positions, actuated by 9V motor and controlled by RCX, position feedback
using rotation sensor.

Airbrakes:
Actuated by two large pneumatic cylinders and two small cylinders. Each Wing has
separate control.

Position Lights:
Blinking lights positioned on wingtips, tail, and belly.  Controlled by RCX.

Turbines:
Individual Throttle (not so much throttle as on or off).  Fibre-optic unit and
old-style 9V motor in each turbine.

Here’s an inventory of some of elements of interest (the more expensive ones):

1x RCX
1x Battery Box
5x 9V Motor (3 new, 2 old)
2x Rotation Sensor
1x Touch Sensor
3x Electric Switch
5x Pneumatic Valve
2x Pneumatic Air Tank
5x Large Pneumatic Cylinder
4x Small Pneumatic Cylinder
4x Small Pneumatic Pump
1x Pneumatic Hand-pump
10 meter Electric Cable (approximate)
6 meter Pneumatic Hose (approximate)

That takes care of all the statistics, I should probably tell you now who I am
and how I built it, or something like that:

I’m a twenty-one-year-old Mechanical-Electrical Engineering student at the
University of British Columbia. (That’s in Canada.) During My
summer holiday I went on a short trip and flew on a Boeing 737.  I should say
that I love flying, and I love planes.  In fact, I have built many planes before
with Lego, but have never posted any of them online.  The first MOC I
photographed was actually an airplane, but that was eight years ago.  So after
my trip, I was inspired to build a model of the versatile airliner.  It being my
summer ‘holiday’, I was working at a small engineering firm and thus had
evenings and weekends to myself.

Unlike with previous creations, I now had a steady income, and could determine
the size of my plane not according to my supply of Lego, but according to a
pre-selected scale: Minifig Scale.  I quickly learnt how quickly those low
prices on Bricklink can add up and max out my credit card.  Don’t get me wrong
though, Bricklink is the best invention since the advent of the brick.  Thanks
to everyone at Bricklink for your help in the project!

Building the plane at this large scale, while introducing all kinds of
structural headaches, allowed me to add much more detail than previous models.
The landing gear, for instance, featured suspension, and landing gear bay doors,
while the nose gear could also steer.  The downside to building this big, like I
said, is structural.  Those studless rings that give the fuselage its round
shape are all parallel, meaning that they don’t actually add to the rigidity of
the fuselage.  This means the whole fuselage can bend slightly when not
supported evenly.

Having said all that, I’m very happy with the way it turned out, and the
experience of creating something that truly excites and challenges you is well
worth the money you spend building it.  The reality that I will break it down
soon, and recycle the pieces into something new still breaks my heart.

You can send questions and comments to marius.postma@<NOSPAM>gmail.com

Thanks for reading,
  Marius

PS:  Just to clarify, the plane was actually completed in September 2005, but it
took me this long to get around to posting it.