 Space / 39831
Re: Mech Bay 09 - The Cub Den
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 03:07:00 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmm, about time I chimed in here. What can I say, but that I am
impressed by your work as always Eric. I am glad you got the lamp
working with out to many problems, did you manage to get the noise
down?

Good question. No not really.
I did find that once the entire structure was in place, the weight on it
pressing down making the vibration less as it was more solid, plus the weight of
the inner gantry helps surpress the fan noise more so then it was.

Best way be be sure is to install a box fan, that'll do it.
Instead I kept it all lego. I also had some interesting conversations with other
builders about ways to mount a motor and drive shaft retainer on rubber elements
found in the Lego system plus technic shocks to cut down on the vibration/noise
the fan and the rotational forces cause.

That was cool.

It looks good with the mech in it, and the B & W photo looks good. In
fact, the vent on the side for the fan actually enhances the style
furthar IMHO. I am now wishing I had some transparent baseplates! I
also note you spent time on the interior of the ceiling here -
something often forgotton on interiors.

Weep for ye olde forgotton roof me laddy.

Hmm - one thing left out is how the hatch for the pilot links up with
the gantries, would he board the mech in the bay?

Right well there's the idea.

You see the pilot is dashing. Out on the town meeting with the babe in the
flick. He's got to figure out what the other side is doing, and that requires
some detective work.

Once the pilot figures out the deal, Bam, he speaks in to his wrist watch:

"Dark Gray Mecha named The Cub made from Lego GO!"

Then The Cub comes running, crawling, jumping what have you from an eruption of
smoke and dust. Kneels down. (Camera pans) Picks pilot up.
All of a sudden he's in the pilot's seat and Yells!

"Lego robot is GO!"

(while camera pans yet again around the pilot in the cockpit, which is
physically impossible, distorting space and time, but anyway....)

See how I did'nt have to.

;)

Might I add, I orginally was kicking around an idea to make an underground Mech
Bay, where as the inner gantry would ride to the surface like a big elevator
lift. Then retract and lower to the subterraian level where all the action is
going on. Ladders loading equipment etc...

So this build for me reflects that part of it. Where all you see the the dock
about to unclamp and release the robot, when the lift reaches the surface.
Envision if you will that Mech Bay 09 is what you see when the lift is at the
surface. The red pillars would sink to the ground level. The Mech Bay entrance
can either be a hardened bunker or concealed seamlessly in to the ground when
closed.

Thanks for sharing it Eric, it looks good.

Thank you!

--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots