 Space / 38129
Re: Snotcycle / Fusion Drive prototype vehicle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:42:44 GMT

In lugnet.space, George Haberberger wrote:
Kevin,

Welcome back out of the dark ages!

This reminds me somewhat of a GoldWing or Pacific Coast, in motorcycle terms.
Making odd wide vehicles is hard, it's tough to get the symmetry right.

It does look a little clunky and square though, maybe the plates reduce the
visual interest too much.

George,

Thanks for the advice and the welcome.  The plates on the side were an
afterthought basically because I couldn't come up with anything cool looking
enough.  Seeing all the models posted here on lugnet and browsing brickshelf has
been inspiring me to build models that are both interesting to look at and
having parts that actually perform a function.

This is my newest vehicle, which I like a lot better than the snotcycle.  It's a
fusion drive prototype ship with an exposed large engine and exhaust jets.

The front mounted engine feeds hot exhaust through the pipe above the brave
astronauts' heads to the expansive rear exhaust array.  Both astronauts watch
their monitors intently, worried that a runaway reaction could happen at any
second.  The fusion reactor interferes with any imaging sensor in the area,
giving it a mysterious hazy blur effect.

This one was fun to build, because I just love the flexible hoses.  The rear of
the vehicle used up most of my parts that could work as exhaust jets, so this
one probably won't stay together for very long.

Behind the model in img_1573 and 1574 you can see an aborted attempt at some
sort of docking port, and a small M-Tron shuttle by my friend and building
companion Tim Denson.

Apparently my apartment gets dusty very quickly, and in the future I will have
to diligently dust my models before photography.

Thanks again for the feedback.

     -Kevin Duffy
     senor@lucidsoft.org