 Space / 3755
3754  |  3756
Subject:
Mini-Review of 6977 - Arachnoid Star Base
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 16:16:03 GMT

This set has been around for a while, so I suspect its been reviewed before.
It was recently on sale for half-price ($40) at Zainy Brainy, so I'm
reviewing it in terms of this new price.  I've also seen it at KBToys
heavily discounted.

I had always seen this set in the stores and thought how cool it looked, but
I just couldn't justify spending $80 on it.  However, when the price dropped
to $40-$50, I decided to give it a try.

My main motivation was the trans-green saucer sections and the inverse black
saucer sections under the vehicle.  These parts are unique to this set.

I got the set home and decided to build the main model just for fun.  It
took a good hour or two to build.  There is definitely no juniorization on
this set.  Everything seems to hold together nicely as well.

The final set is quite large (about 1 foot by 1 foot).  The only annoyance
is that the front part is so low that it rubs on the carpet.  This makes the
vehicle hard to push, and if you push it backwards, the front part detaches.
Perhaps it works better on a flat surface?

Anyhow, the real reason I bought this set was for the pieces, and the pieces
are far more useful than I thought.  Key pieces include:

- The 2 trans-green saucer sections. I was going to brasso these and use
them for a police station, but they look fantastic with the "electrical"
imprints.  So far, I've used them for cylindrical roof pieces on an aquazone
power station (pictures to come).  I highly recommend this part for aquazone
and space usage.  I may end up brasso'ing them for town use.

- The 2 inverse black saucer sections.  These are "underside" saucer
sections.  They are hard to see in the set pictures and I wouldn't have
known about them, except that Dave Johann pointed it out to me.  These end
up being one of the best parts in the set.  I find them particularly
effective when paired with the large, corner trans-green domes from 6199.
The combination really gives that high-tech 'jetsons' look.

- The 6 insect leg pieces.  These pieces make great braces and buttressing
elements.

- 5 dark gray "tail" pieces starting at 2x4 on bottom to 2x2 on top (5
bricks high).  This is the only set (that I know of) containing these pieces
in dark gray.  They make wonderful supports.

- 2 small trans-green insect arms.  I haven't seen these arms in any other
set in trans-green.

- 12 dark-gray 2x4 hinged plates.  These are great for creating articulated
vehicles or for curved building surfaces.

- 5 trans light-green small radar assemblies.  These make great antennas

- The light and sound insectoid piece.  This takes 2 AA batteries and has 3
light/sound combinations.  I think there is a red LED on each side that
reflects off the trans light green outer shell.  I'm currently using this as
a spire with no batteries in it (to reduce weight).

- 2 of the best decorated 1x2 control panel plates I've ever seen.  These
are on the "crane" arms.  These make really need control panels.

- many trans light-green 1x2 grate plates

- Lots of large blue plates (from underside)

- Lots of dark gray bricks and plates (hidden inside)

This set had so many useful pieces, that I went back and got a second one a
week later.  A lot of other folks in the area must have had the same idea
since at least 20-30 copies were sold in less than a week.

If anyone has any other questions about this set, I'd be happy to answer
them.