 Space / 35268
35267  |  35269
Subject:
Blending reality and fantasy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:18:15 GMT

Hey all,

Looking at Dan Jassim's custom sticker design, especially the simple yet
elegant and very beautiful galaxy with orbit path and pop-up's of points of
interest, which instantly reminded me of Classic Space and then BING!  I
realized suddenly what I thought (and still think!) is so uber-cool about
Classic Space.  Even though the computer panels and other decorated items
were fantasy designs,  they were all stylistically derived from real world
things.  Company logos, computer panels, exhaust vents, directional arrows,
all ring truer, to my eye at least, because I recognize them.

Many of the future Space themes didn't follow this line, which is certainly
not to say that I like them any less!  Blacktron I still rules in my book as
the coolest Space theme ever, with Space Police I a close second.  However,
when and if TLG can produce their own Space sets again, I hope they can
apply this mixture of inspiration.

DinosauDave