 Space / 3336
3335  |  3337
Subject:
FOTW?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:24:57 GMT

Hey all,

I don't know whether some of you would consider this a find, but I thought
it was pretty good.  I stopped at my favorite local consignment shop and
found a #6988 Alpha Centauri Outpost.  The box and instructions were
practically mint, and upon closer inspection, so were all the pieces.  It
looked someone had built the set once, and then broken it down and stored it
away somewhere nice and dry.  I had been trying to build this set from my
own pieces, but I knew I was going to have one hell of a time finding that
black staircase!  I don't believe that particular piece (in that color) has
ever shown up again.

Anyway, upon building the set I found only two very generic pieces missing
along with two minifigs (both of which I have many of) and it looks
gorgeous.  Being a big Space fan I certainly don't consider this set to be
very well designed since it's the largest set and should be the best example
of the Blacktron II theme.  It certainly doesn't compare to the far superior
#6987 Message Intercept Base as far as overall design and functionality (not
to mention coolness!).  However, it does have some parts, especially the
lighting bricks and the two black 8x8 solid radar dishes, that, for me, make
it worth the $90 I paid for it.

The most interesting discovery was that the trans-antifreeze octagonal domes
have no Technic beam slot in the middle of the 2x2 stud area on the top of
the dome.  Given TLC's recent penchant for open, breezy cockpits, it's nice
to have a few of these handy.  Perhaps the strangest desing aspect is the
fact that the two cockpit units are designed to attach to the front of the
base (with the use of a small modular unit) as well as sit on the two
corrugated landing pads.  Why would there need to be two different docking
procedures?  The former doesn't seem to make much sense to me, especially
since the small modular piece can only be used to attach the two cockpits
back to back, and that ship isn't going to go anywhere!  Any thoughts?

Dave

--
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."  - John
Lennon