 Space / 3275
Re: Invasion of the Spider Tanks.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:01:35 GMT

Well (clearing throat, acting important)...

My fascination with spider-crab-insect mecha started when I was watching a most
wonderful episode of the AD-Police files. The episode was about a corporate
woman who replace 70% and more, of her body with cybernetics, so she goes crazy
and yada, yada becomes a Jack-The-Ripper style murderer. So the AD-Police have
to stop her, and they chase her down to the sewers and roll out their
beautiful, over-expensive spider-mecha. The mecha fires several rounds of
munition and breaks walls, the woman, and everything else in its way.

The result: UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle)
http://tor-pw1.netcom.ca/~milovan/UAV.htm

Of course my first spider-mecha was my Spidertank inspired by Patlabor 2, but
it didn't have as much a profound effect on me as the AD-Police mecha.

So there you go, I like them because they are just like tanks (heavy, laden
with weapons, large) and just imagine how cool it would look to see my UAV pop
out of the street and start firing rounds after rounds at you... Way cooler
than any, any bi-pedal mecha (IMHO)...

And they are also excellent psychological weapons because spiders and insects
are so scary and *icky*! ;-)

And don't even get me started on Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell movie, that
stuff just too, too COOL!

Peace out, and happy mecha building,

Mladen

In lugnet.space, Humberto Zamora writes:
Hi lugnet.

Is it just me or have we been getting an unusual number of new
spidertank/multilegged mecha recently?

I've seen about 8 this month alone at brickshelf. And I know there are a whole
lot more than that.

I know Mladen Pejic does some, so does Pat Justinson, I think Karim Nassar has
some as well, and I know I put mine up, too.

What is the fascination with these things (not that I'm complaining, in fact, • I
rather like them)?

It would be nice to have a complete list of these tanks, if anyone wanted to
take on the project.

-Humberto Zamora.

P.S.
I would post links to the ones at brickshelf, but I think they get moved • around
alot.