 Space / 32302
32301  |  32303
Subject:
Ribbed panel construction idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.space, lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:55:45 GMT

While working out how to do the ribbed sides common on many modern locomoives I hit upon using this part

After a serious of experiments to get the offset right I eventually came up with this design

This basis can be scaled to suit, this is the smallest module (as far as I have worked it anyway) The elements sticking out the ends allow connection to the next module and can be replaced by ones half the length for the end module or also replaced by longer ones as required.

The LDraw file is available here (note that I have used Brick 1 x 1 with Studs on Sides in place of the new element Brick 1 x 1 with Studs on 2 Sides as this is not yet an official LDraw part. however I have edited the images above to look right).
I’m sure that this could be refined to make it more compact and to use less elements. Note to train builders, is won’t fit as designed in a six wide, go seven! Finally, here is a larger panel.

Tim