 Space / 31687
Re: The Fly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 21:10:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, Keith Goldman wrote:
   I don’t know Ley, the thing on the nose looks suspiciously like a death ray. Coming from a Space Hippy like youreslf, this smacks of a military-industrial complex sell-out of some kind. Workin’ for the Man now, eh Ley? Although I do like the fact that you turned R2 into a flying paraplegic.

Peace and probes,

what do probes have to do with peace?

On an unrelated subject..cool moc.

-Keith

Ah, Mr Goldman, we meet again.

Alas, the ‘Baby-Blue Peace Ray’ does not produce the level of death and destruction to which you’ve become accustomed; it only produces a peaceful, easy feeling.(1) Of course, if it got into the wrong hands...

Which brings me to the question in your recent review of the SHIELD: “can it be reconfigured with a device that emits a death ray?”

Of course such things are possible with both the Fly and the SHIELD. Heck, even most modern kitchen appliances can be reconfigured thus. I believe some of them already have been.

A little explanation of the structure of Whateverly Labs and the Institute might be in order:

We actually bought the military-industrial complex housed in Secret Mountain, and I tell you there was quite a mess left by the previous owner. Anyway, we run as a collective in true hippie style. Now, some members of the collective may be evil, but we don’t hold that against them. It’s about acceptance, and healing. That’s why we have Guru Baba Ding and Starflower on staff; it’s not like we all follow him just because he’s a guru. He helps keep things peaceful and, of course, so does Starflower, his lovely ‘assistant’

Speaking of wrong hands...here’s one of our researchers, Doug ‘Spinetop’ Perkins or Skull Doug as he’s also known. He plays a mean piano(2) and he’s a little hard of hearing. He’s evil but we’re okay with that.

He’s also rather cranky. It’s probably because no one’s holding a gun to his head. (well I don’t see anyone holding the gun.) He used to work for the Man but now he has his own agenda. (They were on sale at Office Despot.)

Um, my nephew tells me it was actually R5-D4, but who really cares. We thought of calling it ‘Flipper’ but that seemed mean. There are few droids that could turn a freak steam-roller accident into an asset. Anyway, it’s part of our ‘Probing for Peace’ initiative. The probes(3) will yield information which we can use to promote peace.

Well, that’s probably more than you wanted to know, but, hey, thanks about the cool moc comment.

Peace and acceptance,

Professor Whateverly

(1) And, alas, song viruses.

(2) You’d be a mean piano too if someone only played with hooks.

(3) At least I didn’t make a car called a Probe. What were they thinking?

PS. Your mom says hi.