 Space / 31639
Re: Stacked connection points on moonbase standard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 03:22:02 GMT

In lugnet.space, Scott Lyttle wrote:
I think the monorail platform had a lot to do with the 10, 20, 30 etc
standard. I agree that by doing that standard, there is a big step up for
the monorail sled.  Hmm...wonder if there's any way to recess that rail...

Not if you want to be able to run ground-level track on Moonbase-compliant
baseplates.  If you don't mind running elevated Monorail, there's no reason why
you can't just drop the tracks to 7/17/27/etc. off the ground.

but you could always build up some steps with plates starting from the
doorway...

That would be the "step up" that I mentioned, but if you've never heard that
used as a construction term, I can see how it could be read as an upward step
rather than a platform.

Not to bash the standard, but with the 10, 20, etc bottom plate standard,
that leaves a pretty considerable space between the connection rings,
doesn't it?

4-1/3 bricks between the standard ceiling of one connection hallway and the
standard floor of the next.

Given that a minifig is about 4ish bricks high, and a connection corridor is
5 bricks high, but the next level at 10 bricks higher--leaves quite a bit of
overhead, doesn't it?

Yeah, it's a bit more than the standard in the US, which I believe is about 10
feet per floor.

hm...maybe it's needed to run all the plumbing, hoses, communications,
fleebnork nests, Planet 10 creatures, sea monkey hideouts, water channels
for dolphins, and area for special blacktron ops agents to move about
undetected...

If you're looking for an in-character justification, there should be a sealable
access point between split levels, just in case one gets breached (and there's
no reason why you can't make the main section more than 5 bricks high inside, as
long as the connections stick to the standard).  4-1/3 brick height also gives
enough headroom that a cautious minifig could walk around between levels for
exterior maintenance access (there's not _quite_ enough clearance for a minifig
to stand fully upright, but they aren't forced to crawl around between standard
layers).  And considering how valuable interior cubic footage is, pretty much
any systems that can survive the exterior environment would probably be strapped
to the tops/bottoms of the various levels to conserve/reduce interior space as
much as possible.  Vacuum is a great insulator, non-corrosive, and (contrary to
popular belief) not at all cold, so if a system doesn't require oxygen or some
form of air-cooling, stick it outside.