 Space / 31509
Re: P-38 Lightning Mark XII - contest entry.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.contests
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 00:47:29 GMT

In lugnet.space, Daniel Rubin wrote:

   Oooooh this is fancy! I thought this was an awesome ship before I even got the pics of the retractable landing gear. Nicely done.

Thanks. I started with the landing gear this time. I discovered it’s much easier to put it in this way than retrofitting it as I usually end up doing.

In lugnet.space, Ryan Wood wrote:
   Allister, this is one fine vehicle. It resembles the P-38 enough that it conforms with the contest outlines, but you altered the design enough that it looks very spacey indeed. I think this is my favorite entry yet in the contest. Awesome work!

Thanks Ryan. Don’t forget to vote ;)

   I am very happy in seeing how this contest has been progressing towards the unusual and creative.. this craft is no except. The landing gear is especially nice.

I’ve been pretty impressed with the sheer quantity of entries. It certainly seems to have captured .space’s imagination.

Thanks for the kudos. The landing gear is a lot more elegant on this one than the LL38 - they actually snap into position, both stowed and deployed.

   -eagerly awaits your next EB fighter-

I could probably fit one in on the production line somewhere. Seems all the EB fighters to date have been a bit small. It could be time for something a little heavier. Does this meet with the approval of the Junior Masrshallate?

In lugnet.space, Mladen Pejic wrote:
   Very stylish Allister. Great colour scheme and really creative design to be seen in this MOC. Most of all, I like how it’s slanted forward when the landing gear is deployed. Too cool.

The colour scheme, and some aspects of the styling, were based on one of my son’s Hot Wheels cars. I tell ya, the Hot Wheels catalogue is lousy with cool spaceship ideas.

The slanting forward was a happy accident. After I completed both wings, I attached them to the cockpit and set it on the desk. My first response was ‘oops’, but after a bit I realised that it looked much cooler that way so I left it.

Thanks again for all the responses. I’d just like to point out that I uploaded a few more pictures to Brickshelf after I made some small modifications. I added some small fins to the top of the wing pods, and got rid of the blue landing gear doors. I wanted them all black, but since I had only two black I had to use tan on one side (I could only find one yellow door as well). Bricklink should fix that in a week or two when the parts arrive.

Cheers,

Allister