 Space / 31381
31380  |  31382
Subject:
SV-38 Starfleet Vanguard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:33:36 GMT

Well, here’s my entry for the .space P-38 contest:
Say hello to the SV-38 Starfleet Vanguard

And the full folder after moderation.

The need for an advanced long range scout resulted in the development of the SV-38. Built from standard Starfleet Voyager components, the Starfleet Vanguard was configured for speed and range. Though highly capable of fufilling its role, the SV-38 never saw wide use due to advancing technology and a diversion of funds to the Space Police to combat the increasing Blactron menace. This vintage craft was restored by the Vanguard Project - a non-profit group of former pilots, engineers, and other SV-38 enthusiasts.

Admittedly I’ve been trying to come up with an original idea for a P-38 based spacecarft since the contest began - the P-38 was my favorite WWII aircraft since about 4th grade :) Unfortunately no new idea was forthcoming. Then I noticed my old Starfleet Voyager staring at me on shelf and started thinking how other members of the community have already entered some really great Classic Space inspired craft, notably the PX-38 Thunderclap, The LL-38 and the Frost Fighter. The idea of honoring a Classic design and a ship staring at me begging to be picked up finally spured me into action.
The deconstruction and re-build took about two hours and I had to cheat and use some parts off a 6842 Shuttle Craft. Mainly I wanted to preserve the front end of the 6929 along with the sensor dishes and engine bits. Also had to make sure to fit in the exposed computers, wrench, walkie-talkie, and the yellow highlights. Of course the twin booms meant getting rid of the cargo bay... I was pleasantly surprised at the result.

PLMKWYT,
TRS