 Space / 28476
Re: The shape of the universe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 06:36:26 GMT

In lugnet.space, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
Hey all

I saw an article on the msn homepage today on the shape of the universe.  It
looked pretty cool, so I thought I'd post it.  I linked to the original material
on space.com so the link wouldn't dry up on me.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/universe_soccer_031008.html

Enjoy!
Andrew

quote:
"Imagine a sheet of paper with the left and right edges rolled toward one
another to make a cylinder, Weeks suggests. Suppose you could shrink and stand
on the paper. Start at the seam and walk west in a straight line.

'Nothing funny happens along the way.' Weeks says. 'Then lo-and-behold you're
back at the starting point and surprised to be there.'

Now if you could roll the sheet of paper in two directions -- without the
inevitable crumpling -- so that things moving off the top would appear at the
bottom, then you'd have created a universe much like the one Weeks and his
colleagues imagine."

Funny, sounds a lot like the "Kings Quest[1]" universe to me. :)

-Alfred

[1] I had a PCjr in Jr High.  That was a favorite among me and my cousins.