 Space / 28087
Re: interesting ship building idea...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:41:58 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
   Has anyone ever considered using the girder parts in the 10045 bridge elements to build a ship where there are (say) a front bit and a back bit that are only connected by a girder structure? (like in some Sci-Fi movies)

Or am I the first one to think of this? (I am going to get 1 or mabie more copies of 10045 and do this myself :)

I’d been working on just such a ship for a month or so, but I haven’t found a girder design that I thought looked good enough - but I was constructing it in microfig-scale so I think I set tougher constraints for myself. I also think that a substantial challenge exists in getting it strong enough unless you make it out of Technic beams - although I think that would be too coarse a scale for microfig. I got a great-looking microfig frame section by linking light-gray antennas and light-grey technic ski-poles, but I quickly ran out of both elements... :-(

My primary inspiration was the Explorer-class vessel Cortez from Babylon 5:

http://www.wolfsshipyard.mystarship.com/Drawings/Earth/explorer.gif

Actually, the site isn’t a bad reference for Babylon 5 ships:

http://www.wolfsshipyard.mystarship.com/drawings.html

Cheers,