 Space / 27136
27135  |  27137
Subject:
UCS U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-D
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 02:38:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi,

(With a lot of help from Kevin at happywaffle.com) I’ve just finished my own UCS Enterprise D.

Brick It Good

It took about 2 hours a day for a week to create the mlcad files. I simplified things by splitting the project into the right and left nacelles, stardrive, and saucer section.

This project uses 1532 pieces. Most of which are light-gray plates. I had originally wanted to ONLY use the parts included in the Star Wars AT-AT or Star Destroyer, but that became impractical with the amount of large gray plates. The worst thing I did on the Enterprise was use 55 (left and right) 2x4 wedge plates (part 41770 and 41769). This is a relatively rare piece that is only available in a couple sets. Luckily, great people on Bricklink have bought these sets in quantity and parted them out.

I am 95% done building a real version. (Just waiting for a couple bricklink orders). Building time was about 2 1/2 hours. The saucer was the most challenging part. The saucer is 50 studs wide. I starting building in the middle on top of a 48x48 baseplate. My plan was to build most of the way up, then remove it from the baseplate and build the rest bottom-up. Removing it was surprisingly easy. I carefully separated the sides as best I could. Then I put a large, flat, sharp knife in between the saucer and baseplate and gently sawed back and forth. Nothing was cut. :) It just perfectly separated the saucer from the baseplate. I had anticipated the baseplate sucking off a lot of pieces from the saucer and then having to put them back on.

Overall a challenging and fun project. Comments & suggestions always welcome! :)

Corey