 Space / 25866
25865  |  25867
Subject:
Sturdy landing gear
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:04:18 GMT

There have been a couple of requests to see better pictures of the landing gear on the Gervoya. Here’s a series of pictures that show how it works. It’s fairly simple, really.

Things to note:
  • I have omitted “feet” as the design is pretty flexible in that area. I tend to let them pivot independently (with a friction peg).
  • The gear locks to prevent the leg from simply collapsing back in, although I would think twice about using wheels on such landing gear (it might still collapse if moving over a bumpy surface). Playing around with liftarm lengths might increase the locking threshold.
  • The Technic suspension (and cog) aren’t essential, especially if the leg is covered with stuff that retracts flush into fuselage (that tends to provide the necessary friction), but they do give a nice professional “clunk” feel :-)
  • The design could be automated/motorised by attaching push-pull action on the bend in the L-liftarms. I haven’t done this yet, but it would be rather cool. It may also allow wheels to be used on the gear.
  • This version doesn’t retract flat, but it should be possible with some minor redesign.
Cheers,