 Space / 23180
Re: New helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.military
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:02:21 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Spencer Nowak writes:
Hey there.  This is my first helicopter, and i wanna know what ya'll think
of it.  >http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=387469

Questions, comments, feedback, hate mail?  Gimme a reply.

Spencer,

Overall I did not like this model very much.  Based on your spacecraft, I
think you can do significantly better.  Now, before other people come
rushing to his defence, to his huge credit, Spencer has specifically said
that he "wont cry" about criticall comments.  Indeed, he has invited them on
more than one occaision.  So, since you mentioned before that your part
selection is somewhat limited I'll bear that in mind.  Here goes:

1. the pilot needs a chair
2. commandos need gloves, and red helmets would make them huge targets
anywhere but mars.
3. although I appreciate the snot-work, the chopper body is way too boxy for
my tastes.  Try using some slope peices or something else to transition from
the main body to the tail, or the engines.
4. The blades are both too wide, and too short.  You might consider covering
them with smooth tiles as well.  As said above, the transition from the body
to the engine to the rotors needs more greeblies.  The turntable for the
rear-blades is way too large, try the small 2x2 turntable.
5. The landing struts are too primative.  I wouldn't use that big arch, it
looks too much like a big block you jammed on the bottom of the craft.  Make
your own struts with technic piedes, or something of your own design.  If
you are going to use that angular arch piece, make the skids 2x wide.
6. the cannons are too few and too plain.

ok, what I did like:
1. the side profile.  I think it needs greeblies, but it works for me.  I
also liked the side, stubby wings.
2. the back hatch design.
3. use of the tie-fighter canopy for a chopper, but the transitions need to
be better.

As usual, take these comments with a grain of salt.  I don't really
specialize in choppers and my few attempts have been less than exemplary.
Most importantly, keep building my man.

-Keith