 Space / 2150
2149  |  2151
Subject:
Semi off-topic film recommendation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 05:35:20 GMT

It doesn't deal with our favorite construction toy, but it does deal with
space, building, and the power of dreams.  I don't know how many of you have
seen the Joe Johnston film "October Sky", but it is a wonderful story about
a young boy in a coal mining town who dreams of being something more than a
coal miner.  One night he looks up to see the newly launched Sputnik
satelitte traverse the night sky and he is forever changed by the
realization that the world is much bigger than the small town he feels
trapped in.  I've seen this film a number of times since it came out on
video and I've enjoyed it immensely each time.  There aren't any super
prominent actors to distract you from being lost in this terrific tale and I
recommend it to everyone who's ever looked up at the stars and dreamed of
one day traveling to them.

Cheers!

Dave

--
"There is no end, no beginning.  There is only the infinite passion of
life."  -Federico Fellini