 Space / 20525
Re: Starship is Go for Launch!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:03:15 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Leonard Hoffman writes:
this is probably a dumb question, but exactly how does one play?

Actually, I think it is an excellent question!  :)

Basically, the true "play" of the game is mostly by emails.  Mediators send
in-character emails to the players to reveal what is happening, and then the
players respond with what their crew does next.  When the situation calls
for it, players might also email each other in-character.  See below for an
example of this.

Some players may respond very briefly, others may write a page or so of
prose.  It is all what you put into it.  Mediators can be equally varying.

To tie it into ABS each player must build at least one ship, but
additionally some players may develop minifig character portraits and
backgrounds.  Mediators are also encouraged to build more.  For example, in
the first adventure I am hosting, I have built several models that will only
be shared when the time comes that a player encounters them.  My scenario is
that the Player Ships are looking for a lost vessel, and when they ask
(in-character) what they are looking for, then (in-character) they will be
refered to this page:
http://www.valyance.com/starship/myships/garnet.htm

Or the SM could offer something more simple like a page that just says, "You
see this:" followed by a picture of an alien made of brick.

also, is there a place where the 'play' can be observed?

I have been toying with the idea of adding an example play section to the
website.  One brief example of play might be:

1. The Sector Mediator writes an email to Player1 saying: "You are at
coordinates B5 on the sector map.  The ship orbits the icy planet while the
ground crew searches for signs of life.  Suddenly sensors indicate a heat
surge on the surface.  The away team reports that a steam geyser has
erupted.  One marine is badly burned and two others are trapped beyond the
vent."

2. Player1 responds with an email saying: "I order those marines that can to
return to the lander and return to the mothership before any other eruptions
occur.  The medics onboard ready themselves to care for the burn victim.
Also, the captain opens comms to any nearby ships who can help get the
stranded men."  Player1 also sends a copy of his distress call to other
players in the sector.

3. Player2 responds with an email saying: "This is Ace Jones of the SS
Rescue2.  We are currently at location D3 and will make speed to your
location.  Our fast launches will be ready to help retrieve your crew."
Player2 also makes sure to copy the SM and explain the intended course change.

4. After giving time for responses (usually a week), the SM then sends an
email to Player1 saying: "All but two of your marines make it safely back to
the ship.  The one with burns is treated and in fair condition.  But all
attempts to communicate with the stranded marines fail.  It seems something
is jamming transmission near the surface.  The SS Rescue2 is expected to
arrive within the week."  The SM sends a separate email to Player2 to reveal
any events during the week of spaceflight.

And so on.

In addition to these action emails (which make the game invisible to those
not involved), participants may also chat in-character using newsgroups or
message boards.  An example of this is here:
http://creationcenter.com/boards/gravebelt/

There has also been talk of trying to get a Starship group here on Lugnet
(something like fun.gaming.starship) but it has not happened yet.

I hope I answered your questions, but if not feel free to ask more!  :)

-Galactic Mediator Hendo